Driving License Exchange

Driving License Exchange

Driving License Exchange

After 6 months of residing in Spain, it is no longer possible to legally drive with your country of origin’s driving license. It must be exchanged for a Spanish driving license in front of the DGT (which stands for General Directorate of Traffic).

Who can exchange their driving license to a Spanish one?

All foreigners who have a foreigner card and are citizens of the following countries may do so.

Andorra, Germany, Algeria, Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Chile, Colombia, Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Philippines, Finland, France, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Dominican Republic, Romania, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela.

How long will it take to get my new permit?

Obtaining the provisional exchange license once the documents have been delivered takes approximately a month and a half. The final one (the plastic card) is sent later by post. If before delivering the documents we must get you a residence certificate because you do not have one, the duration of the procedure will depend on the availability of appointments at the National Police Office for the issuance of said residence certificate.

For Corporate Consulting Services