Non-working residence visa

Non-working residence visa

Non-working residence visa

Who can apply for a non-working residence visa?

This is a type of residence visa for those non-Europeans who wish to come live in Spain permanently and do not need to work. This visa allows for the whole family to reside, but not work, and can be requested by those who can demonstrate sufficient and recurring income from non-working sources, such as pensions, and/or capital income such as property leases, etc.

How do I know if I can apply for a non-working residence visa to live in Spain?

The non-working residence visa must always be requested from the country of origin. Before requesting it, you must make sure that you meet all the requirements, starting with having sufficient financial means.

For the year 2022, the sum for the main applicant of the non-working residence visa is almost 28,000 euros per year, and an approx. 7,000 additional euros for each family member who requests it alongside them. These amounts are calculated based on an index called IPREM and change every year.

Other requirements that you must take into account are the lack of criminal records and illnesses that could constitute a social risk. You must also be 100% covered by a Spanish private health insurance.

What is the procedure for obtaining the initial non-working residence visa?

After requesting it, an answer will be obtained within the following 3 months. If the answer is favourable, you will obtain a visa to enter Spain. After this, you will have to go to a fingerprinting appointment at the police to obtain your first foreigner’s ID card. The initial temporary residence authorization will have a duration of one year and its validity will begin on the date of entry into Spain.

Will I be able to renew my non-working residence visa?

If you comply with the requirements of the authorization and you have not exceeded what is allowed regarding your absences from Spain, you will be able to renew your initial non-working residence, and this time you will obtain a 2-year authorization.

When necessary, you can also request the modification of the non-working residence authorization to a residence and work authorization for becoming an employee or self-employed freelance, as the case may be.

For Corporate Consulting Services